Wellston’s Trinity United Methodist Church on South New York Avenue at 4th Street, is slated to close Sunday, May 19, when the congregation relinquishes the church to Methodist Conference officials.
The church was founded in 1881 when three laymen, David Woolam, David Ramsey, and Hubert Guinn, visited the conference requesting a preacher to hold meeting in Wellston. The first appointment was a “Mission” and became part of a circuit with a Rev. Henry Eby as the first minister sent to Wellston.
The church was first located at the corner of Vermont Avenue and First Street, on land donated by Congressman H. S. Bundy. The current building was built in 1901 on land donated by Carl Davis.
In 1947 the United Brethren Church and the Evangelical Denomination united to become the First Evangelical United Brethren Church, more commonly know locally as the EUB Church. In 1968 the EUB Church joined the Methodist Church to become the United Methodist Church.
The closing of the church is a sad day for the Wellston community.